Monday, October 4, 2010

This Little Piggy Went To Market....

I thought I'd take a slightly different approach this year towards Down syndrome awareness month and share some little facts and interesting tid bits here and there.

So... many children with Down syndrome are born with "sandal gap". This is a slight space between the big toe and second toe. Does Bennett have this?

Yep. It's not very noticeable in this picture and in general but he has it. It can be a small marker for various trisomies on an ultrasound, Down syndrome being one of those. It was not seen on his ultrasound though.

People without Down syndrome can have this trait too. Actually many of the common traits that I'll share can be seen in people without Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome). More of those in a few!

Oh and by the way, the first picture is actually Bennett and our awesome photographer from the Littlest Hero's project took that. I'll be sharing those pictures soon!!



5 comments:

  1. Gage has the sandal gap, too! I love Bennett's little toes, I wanna tickle 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the "sandal gap", Landon loves to squash my nose between his toes!! So cute=)

    Looking forward to the pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bennett has such cute little feet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Anna's feet! In fact, before they even told us she had Ds, I was commenting on her toes and the gap. =)
    Can't wait to see the pics from Carissa!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those little feet and the sandal gap just makes it more adorable! Joaquin has a sandal gap and Sofia doesn't :)! Kinda cool!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts so go ahead and leave a comment!