Thursday, October 7, 2010

Blowing Stereotypes Out of the Water!

"All people with Down syndrome are always so happy!"

Oh really?....

Not this kid with Down syndrome!


In fact, most of our friends that have met Bennett will confirm that this is how he greets you-with a suspicious pout and sometimes you'll see a swift swat from his arm! This is almost always followed by his charming little smile though;)

This is exactly how Harper was- her "rude" face was how she typically greeted excited strangers and even friends. You won't see my kids giving out adorable smiles in the grocery store line unless they really feel comfortable with you.

Okay, I'll admit that Bennett was an unusually good infant and if that was because he was our third, his personality or something to do with the 21st chromosome, I gladly accepted it! This stereotype doesn't really bother me because having a kid that never cries, whines or complains-sign me up! But I think the take away here is that people with Down syndrome have emotions just like everyone else. After all-

"They are more alike than different."

They can be happy, sad, mad, stressed and hurt.

Now for the most part Bennett is still super laid back and generally a really good baby but he's definitely not happy all of the time!

And when he's upset, you can be certain that big sister 1 or big sister 2 will be right there to try and make it all better.

{I hope you realize you're getting sneak peeks of our Littlest Hero's photo shoot!!}

17 comments:

  1. I love this post. Very well said. Wow, could he be any cuter? (No)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a sweet photo that last one is!!! And yes, "always happy" is the biggest myth of all, I think. Yikes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do realize it and am ready for the full show, already! =)

    Anna is the kid that waves at everyone from her grocery cart (waves, squeals in delight, pats gently, gives high-fives and an occassional hug, waves some more) -- but she is also the one who pitches a major fit when getting her teeth brushed, or putting her shoes on, or getting her diaper changed...or basically being forced to do anything where she has to sit still or that she doesn't want to do -- Sounds like a pretty typical 2-yr. old, huh? =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures!!! My boys are the same way with strangers or people they have only met a few times...no smile, hello or any other pleasant gesture either....stone face, no emotion blank stare until you give up and walk away! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so enjoying your post for October! You say and show it so well. That last photo would melt anyones heart, what great big sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hold onto the hope that with our kids being a little "feisty"....that they will less likely be taken advantage of.

    *fingers crossed. *triple crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pics...and it's so true, if Emily is mad...everyone will know it! I read your comment on my blog about Bennett and Emily and they would be so cute together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Adrienne, I found your blog many months ago and enjoy your thoughts and photos re: your beautiful family. Bennett is ADORABLE. His sweet face just melts me. :) Your posts this week have been entertaining and informative. Keep 'em coming! You are a great momma!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HA! This post cracks me up. That's all I heard when Will was born - "Oh, kids with Down syndrome are so loving and happy". Yeah, that's a nice thought! Will is mostly happy and funny, but he is super fiesty as well. Not too loving when he hits his sister, or when he has to change his color at school because he wouldn't share blocks! He can be loving, funny, mischievous, strong willed, happy, grouchy, kind, selfish, etc - all very typical little boy emotions and actions! But that's what we want, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the pics from the Littlest Hero's project. The last one with big sis trying to calm him is priceless.
    Alayna is defintely laid back and never really meets a stranger but Aidan was exactly the same way so truly they are more alike than different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE his little pouty face. It is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post and so true! On Sunday Ruby slapped a lady right in the face for getting in her face! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Couldn't help but smile at this- and did you know they are also SOOO musical and SOOO loving (just a little DS humour ;) )!! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all these factoids about DS. I want to do exactly the same thing you're doing, take pics of all Peyton's features. They're just so darn cute. :) Peyton has brushfield strokes and a bent little pinky finger, but no single crease in his palm or gap between his big toe and second toe. It's amazing to see all the differences, just like one would see in any person. :) I might just link to your blog in the absence of my blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this post!! We say this all the time! Your pictures are great...

    ReplyDelete
  16. That last picture~ priceless, especially Harper's expression! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE his "mad" look in the first picture - I am guessing you see this face sometimes in physical therapy??? (at least Whitney gives us her "mad" face quite a bit in physical therapy) :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts so go ahead and leave a comment!