Friday, October 1, 2010

Something You May Not Have Known...


I'm not sure I'll be able to post every day during the month of October but for my friends and family out there that do not have a child with special needs here are some very basic things just to know about Down syndrome and such. They may seem silly to you and honestly I never thought of them when I didn't have a child with DS but it does mean a lot to me and I'm sure other parents with kids like Bennett may feel the same way.

  • When referring to a child with special needs, please put the special need after the child. So instead of saying he is a Down syndrome child or Down syndrome baby, you could simply say he has Down syndrome or Bennett has Down syndrome or "hey that baby has Down syndrome" NOT "hey there's a Down syndrome baby." I don't know why but when hearing someone say my child is "Down's" or "is a Down syndrome child" it totally makes me cringe. Because, Bennett is so much more than just having Down syndrome. He's a little boy first and he happens to have Down syndrome.
  • Children with Down syndrome most often reach milestones later than typical kids (not normal kids, typical kids-remember, my son is normal too!!;)) because of their low muscle tone. So it shouldn't be a surprise that Bennett may not walk until he's 2 or later. Now you can see why we make such a big deal when he reaches those little milestones and big milestones because yes, it can seem like an eternity to do them but that's okay;)!
  • Lastly, I hope you would encourage your children to play with children that have special needs {if they have a chance} because not only does it help the child with special needs (not to mention their mommy that so badly wants them to have typical peers too;)) but your child will learn compassion, patience and acceptance just by playing with someone that may need a little help. Don't we all want our kids to be kind, compassionate and patient??
I'll end with a pic of my little "Scooby" {You're going to crack up when you the other two}! Thanks for reading!

8 comments:

  1. Great post! Thanks, you mind if I share this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information and oh so true! Happy Down syndrome month to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THe cutest Scooby!!
    love this post,you should sell the right to it, lol. May I please post this on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and I love your Scooby !!

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Adrienne! Nicely stated. Spreading awareness amongst all the other things us moms do, sure is a lot of work. That's why we have nominate you for the "Hard Working Mommy Bloggers" award. Stop by our blog, when you have a chance, to pick it up=)

    That sure is the cutest Scooby I have ever seen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. perfectly said...err, written...you know what I mean!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this post. I just had someone ask me why I dislike the phrase "normal". Glad I'm not the only one. Cute Scooby!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts so go ahead and leave a comment!