Friday, March 20, 2009

Last post about this and then I'm not wasting my precious time...

My whole thing here is, is that I realize people slip up, say things that they shouldn't have and of course he didn't mean it to be mean, or so he thought- sound familiar?? Why couldn't he say something like "Yes, I bowl like a 3 year old"- I realize this is not that funny (but we all know most 3 years olds can't bowl yet- you get my point) and he was on Jay Leno but who in the world picks on the Special Olympics?? If you do, you're just plain mean! And I've always felt this way so this isn't all because of Bennett. I've never understood why on earth anyone would make fun of the "short bus" or Special Olympians or anyone with a disability. Do you think these people asked to be disabled?? Picking on someone that has unconditional love and would never make fun of someone else? Why would you make fun of someone for something they can't help or control?? This is just common sense I think, really nothing my parents taught me (although they taught me and raised me well!:))

He better apologize without a teleprompter and him alone, not one of his staffers!

For what it's worth, if Bush said it I would react the same way, but he didn't.

There, I'm done.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. I hadn't heard about this until now. Not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it! I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one... then he messed it up! I totally agree, that is just low making fun of people that have no control over the fact that they have a disability. Especially the ones that put that fact aside and try to excel at something then compete in it the best they can! Ugh... STILL not a fan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so ironic that I came to your site after being on MSNBC and reading that story... I guess I just needed to feel the love after reading about that snaffu!

    I too was truly bummed to hear that this comment was made.... and I am a fan. But that set me back a little because I am just shocked that someone with that much intelligence would say something with no common sense!

    I'm planning to write the White House and tell them that there better be a lot of money given to the Special Olympics by whatever means they can in the next four years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally with you...I want an apology. Yep...I think I'm pretty much done with it all too. I think instead, I'll spend my time snuggling with my future Olympian!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, it's not about politics. It's about respect for all people. And to have it come from our leader means by definition that people will follow his lead. He still has yet to admit his mistake publicly and apologize to all Special Olympic athletes which only adds to the insult. He apologized privated to Tim Shriver, an important political ally, and his spokesperson basically said we're sorry if YOU are offended (but not sorry for the insult). Tomorrow is World Down Syndrome Day. We've come so far but this reminds us that we still have so far to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm waiting President Obama.....we need to hear your apology.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if you've seen the "My Name is Sarah - Class of 2008" blog, but she has the best response by far that I've seen to the comment made by our president: http://sarahely8989.blogspot.com/2009/03/late-breaking-news-letter-to-president.html

    Sarah is a high-school graduate, an excellent blogger, an an expert bowler, who also happens to have Down syndrome.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts so go ahead and leave a comment!