Monday, March 30, 2009

Just A Reminder...

r-word.org

It's a simple request folks, erase the word retard or retarded from your vocabulary when using it in a "casual" way or even worse, when actually referring to someone with intellectual disabilities as a "retard". March 31st is Spread The Word To End The Word day so I'm just asking you to make a conscious effort to not say it any more. And if you are a parent, please educate your children if they are old enough about the use of this word because more than likely they too do not realize how offensive it can be to some people. I realize that displaying this word at school or events to adolescents in an effort to make them aware of it's hurtful use may in turn make them say it more than they would have but that's where parenting comes in, so let's start it there.

2 comments:

  1. What a great thing to do.

    I'm enjoying reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks for stopping on my page and looking at my handsome little guy's pictures! Although, I must say, he's not overly cooperative when it comes to staying still and looking at the camera or smiling on que!

    Thanks for the reminder! My kids at school all know how I feel and they are on board with me to make sure others don't use it!

    Hope everything is going well. You really need to post pics of Bennett's room! Can't wait to see!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts so go ahead and leave a comment!