Today we went to CHOP in Philadelphia to get a second opinion on Bennett's heart defect. Let me start by saying- I already love this place! They were so nice and really impressive. We had the girls with us, which is always a little stressful but they were very accommodating- I guess it is a children's hospital so they are used to children and how they can act.
They did another fetal echocardiogram and then a "team" of them came in to talk to Mike and I and the girls about what they saw. They explained how the normal heart works and what happens when babies have AVSD's (Atrial Venticular Septal Defects). The diagnosis remains the same as before-AVSD. No big surprise there. They did see a leaky valve, which the cardiologist last week did not mention but they said it is very common with this type of defect so it's not like they are seeing something alarming- although anything leaky, especially when you are referring to the heart, is alarming to me! I do not like the word leaky!! Anyways, they want to see me in 6 weeks or so to keep an eye on the leaky valve to make sure it does not get worse- they don't suspect that it will. We will also be able to tour the ICU where Bennett will stay after his surgery and the step down unit when we go back.
We talked about a time line for Bennett's surgery and I asked if he is born at the end of May- hopefully no sooner- and they prefer to do the surgery between 2-6 months, could we possibly look at a August-September time frame (Bennett would be right around 3 months)? I worry a little about going to 6 months because it will be November then and I want to avoid cold and flu season and being in the hospital. They agreed and said right now that would seem to be a good time to do the surgery but of course we will need to wait and see. We have some weddings coming up later in the year and we would love to be in the clear as far as surgery goes by the time those roll around which it sounds like we will be.
I am trying to stay positive about all of this but sometimes it's just really hard. Bennett seems so peaceful right now inside of me, kicking away just like any other baby but I can't help but worry what it's going to be like for him when he's on the outside. I just wish this didn't have to be so complicated but there is nothing I can do to change it so I will continue to remain faithful and know that God has a plan for us and Bennett. There is a wonderful and simple saying I saw from a blog friend of mine - "Let Go, Let God". This has been my m.o. through all of this and really ever since we had Ainsley in the NICU when she was born. This is all in His hands because I know I cannot take this all on my shoulders. Alright, enough feeling sorry for myself! Thanks for reading and for everyone who is praying for us! We will continue to pray, as we do every night with Ainsley, for Bennett to be big and strong when he is born and for God to heal his heart.