Monday, January 17, 2011

Purposeful Play!

So We've been working on more purposeful play with Bennett rather than just picking things up and dropping them to hear what sound they make (although he still loves this and is all about the louder the better!). He's also getting really good at pulling up-still doesn't pull up on everything he can but every morning I come into get him, he's standing up in his crib with a big smile on his face!

Here's a little clip of him working on "coloring". I know I say the word "color" over and over but his speech therapist said when we're trying to get him to say words, we need to keep it simple and say it over and over-repetition!

His OT said keeping things at a little distance where he has to put his arms out and really work his hands, helps with fine motor skills. He can't rely on other body parts as much to help him do the movement so his little magna doodle is great for this plus the "coloring" is good work for him too!

Bennett is getting really good with the stairs now too! Still needs assistance but he loves doing it! Never thought I'd have to help my child learn to crawl up the stairs but I do and that's okay. I'll have to share a clip of that soon. And yes, Bennett is a little guy so pushing up the chair cushion is still necessary;)

Always fun to see progress!

7 comments:

  1. Great job Bennett!! your a RockSTar...smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So exciting! I feel like he is so grown up now! I know you want him to stay little forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's doing great! This inspires me to make play more meaningful, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Owen his mind is ahead of what his body can do just now. He knew just what he was doing with that magna doodle pen !

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are working on coloring too! And Jack LOVES dropping things to hear how they sound..I mean he LOVES it! I am glad to hear Bennett does too! Silly boys. We've been using the big fat crayons for coloring, but Jack just wants to bang the crayon on the paper, lol...we will have to try to magna doodle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Job Bennett!! Ella likes to drop things through the spindles on the banister so they drop to the basement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay Bennett!! Great job:) I'm with you on the stairs thing Adrienne! Don't we usually want to keep our kiddos AWAY from the stairs????!!!! But hey, we do what we gotta do!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts so go ahead and leave a comment!