Sunday, January 22, 2012

Our Unexpected {normal} Journey...

Looking back at how many blog post I had in the previous year, there has been a big decrease in the amount lately.  Of course every day life with 3 kids takes over, moving, holidays, all that.  But what I've come to realize and what I never thought would be is:  our unexpected journey is pretty darn "normal".  At least to me it is and maybe I haven't blogged as much because the crazy life I thought I was going to have with a child that has special needs isn't all that crazy after all.  Maybe there's just not a whole lot to blog about.  Or maybe it is crazy and I've just gotten used to it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is:  You adjust.  You adjust to your new normal.  Everyone's "normal" is different.  Everyone has there own kind of craziness in their lives.  And I think we all eventually adjust.

Of course my life hasn't been "peachy keen" over the last few years but looking back day to day,  it's just.... normal.  It's OUR normal.  Yes, life can be "normal" with a child that has special needs.  I never thought it would be but right now, it is.  As far as the future...that's another post for another day.

So with all of this I've realized I haven't updated in a while on anyone really so here goes:

Bennett:
  • Lot's more walking from this one!!!  So fun to watch!  
  • Lot's more talking and signing!  I need to  share a video of him with his little flash cards, so cute!  
  • We're working on color recognition, counting, saying 2-3 word sentences-still a ways off on this but he has said "ball please" and "want ball" several times.  He's initiating things that he wants or doesn't want;) so much more now instead of grunting or crying like:  "up", "more", "down", "no", "again", "beats" {fresh beat band;)}.  
  • With all these positive things there are some negatives though:  feeding-no real change...ugh.  Enough said on that.  Juuust about to lose it in that department. 
  • Also, B is extremely attached to me, what can I say the, the kid LOVES me and he's with me ALL.THE.TIME!  So...church nursery isn't going so well lately but they haven't had to come get me and they've been very sweet about it.  I think I just need to stop apologizing for my crying kid and realize that he's 2, and it has nothing to do with Down syndrome, it's a phase, he'll get over it.  But he is pretty darn good at manipulating me;0
Harper:
  • She's loving preschool and 
  • She's registered for kindergarten!  Ahhh!
  • Harper is a pretty easy kid when it comes to learning things for school and such but she's still 4 so that's a challenge all by itself. 
  • She loves dance, can't wait for her birthday...in May (still talks about it like it's next week though) and pretty much seems to love life.


Ainsley:
  • She had a birthday in December and turned 7!!  Can't believe my baby is 7!
  • She's loving school as well, reading, adding, subtracting and enjoys playing school when she's not in school.  
  • We have year-round school in NC so during "track out" she plays with the neighbor's girl and they learn from each other while playing school-it's great!  
  • Ainsley has lost 7 teeth and a recent dentist visit revealed that she may need some teeth pulled as well as braces in the near future. That wasn't a surprise.



Mike:




  • The new job seems to be going well.  
  • A new position always brings new "things" but Mike handles stress incredibly well.  
  • He's been running a ton and I'm so proud of him!  I keep pushing him to run "just 10 minutes more" and for weeks he said "NO" but now he is and the girls get so excited when they see daddy running by the house because he's going "just a little bit further"! Nagging from a wife isn't always so bad;)
  • He had a birthday in December as well!


Me:

Mike has done something to the computer and this is the only pic I can add to the blog right now-lol and ugh!  Really hoping that's fixed soon!!  But this is me last week, just in case your weren't sure;)
  • As always, I'm thinking of ways to decorate my house, change things up and so on.  Pinterest continues to inspire me.  And with a new house, I've got lots of "plans"! 
  • I've decided to face some fears, get out of my comfort zone as far as exercise goes and compete in a triathlon so I've upped my running.
  • Now I need to get back in the pool after being out of it for 12 years and learn how to ride a bike again;)  
  • I celebrated a birthday too and I'm feeling very old (Mike, Ainsley and I are all within weeks of each other!)
  • I'm also trying to grow my hair out.  I know, I'm not very exciting.


But that's us.  Just "normal" I guess.  May not be normal to some but whatev.  We're enjoying the new year so far and I'm looking forward to forming deeper friendships, making new ones, keeping in touch with old friends, more decorating, more crafting, more milestones, kindergarten for H, preschool for B, family time, a warm spring {hopefully}, good health... just a happier year in general.

Thank you for reading our little blog and for all the recent comments lately about how you found us and why you follow.  Whatever the reason, I'm glad you're here!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Bennett

    My name is Jenna and i came across your site. U are an amazing, precious gift, and a special earthly angel. U are an amazing, courageous, determined, positive and strong fighter. U are an inspiration, brave warrior, and a smilen champ. U are a super hero, a super trooper and a tough cookie. U are full of life, spunk, joy, smiles, happiness, laugh, love, and hugs. U will be in my in my thoughts and prayers. I am sending hugs and smiles ur way. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/champ291 I love it when people sign my guestbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story is a lot like ours. Our first child was born at 34 weeks and had to be on a ventilator as well. He was on oxygen for over a month and in and out of the hospital for respiratory issues. I thought he would be our toughest... My second child has autism, our fourth has down syndrome. What I love so much about this post and your blog is that it shows life can be normal(ish) even when the situation isn't typical. I need to get off my butt and start running. Thanks for giving me some motivation. Good luck on your triathlon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the update!! I was looking at my blogging stats too and how each year I blog less and less. Looks like I might need to do a catch all post too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I linked to your blog when my daughter posted one of your crafts on FB (from Pinterest?) and i loved it so followed the link. I fell in love with you and your little family, and click on your blog in "my favorites" quite often...it always brightens my day to read about what is going on with you and the girls and Bennett. Don't give up on blogging...you have a wonderful story to share! Best wishes.
    Hilary B

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was nice to read. Sounds like a lot of wonderful things are happening for you right now and plenty to keep you busy! I always enjoy your perspective on life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. I also love that 'Upside Down' is on your blogtrack... George fills my days. He's P's favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is SO true. At first, it seems like life is going to be so drastically changed by having a child with Down syndrome - but it is so "normal" - we're all just families, doing what families do! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not blogging much lately either and I've noticed that most parents with kids, Lucas's age aren't blogging either. I think you are right, it's just normal everyday stuff, it just doesn't seem that different anymore. I am loving this year, not worrying about Ds. Of course I've been busy with my new addition but like you my interests are peaking in other areas besides Ds. Great update!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How are you liking year round? It's been really great for our family. We get to do fun stuff, vacations, etc. during track out and then right back to school before boredom kicks in. We are changing to track 4 next year as most of the "special" services are there. Glad to read that you guys are settling in nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How do you do it all? It appears you are very well organized. Do you get up super early to fit in running, stuff for the kids (and some of that stuff is hard to do when they are up for the day? Share some of your tips!! :)
    Still loving your blog; been following for over a year now....keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts so go ahead and leave a comment!