Monday, May 26, 2014

Coming Clean...

So I felt the need to share some things.  Life has been a lot different lately, in a good way.  A few months ago I decided I needed a change.  This change has been a long time coming.

You see on the outside, I've always looked like a healthy person.  I've always worked out and somewhat tried to eat healthy.  But working out came much easier to me so eating healthy came in spurts.   I would try to eat healthy, high-energy foods but then end up caving.  I would use my exercise and "good genes" as an excuse to cheat on my efforts. It became a nasty cycle of stress eating, feeling guilty about overeating, then exercising a ton, then being hungry from all the miles I ran. Then more stress eating and feeling guilty, to more exercise.  I never felt happy about how things were.  I was exhausted from all the working out and all the processed foods and high sugar snacks I was eating.  Food gave me short-lived comfort when I was stressed and so did exercise.  But my body was worn out from it all.

 So to make a long story a little shorter;) a couple of years ago I started experiencing what I now know were panic attacks and bouts with anxiety.  My symptoms began at the same time my dad was very sick from melanoma.  But I believe what really started things in a downward spiral emotionally was finding out our son had Down syndrome when I was 17 weeks pregnant.  The first few years of his life were extremely stressful. Then my dad became very sick.  I also decided that it would be a good idea to start my own custom children's clothing line and with all that going on, I literally was falling apart inside.  But I was pretty good at not letting anyone know I was falling apart.  Only a few close friends knew about the strange heart palpitations, chest pains and sleepless nights, the list goes on of the strange symptoms I had.   This all ended up with me going on anxiety medication along with something to help me sleep.  I continued on these meds for a few years.

The panic attacks slowly went away once I realized that's all they were and I wasn't actually dying from a heart attack;)  But I still felt tired all of the time. I would go about my days feeling I had no real purpose. I was a stressed out mom trying to look like I had it all together.  I relied on my coffee in the morning to help me get my kids to the bus stop and my son off to numerous therapies. Then sometimes more coffee during the day to help me get things done around the house. I would sometimes turn to wine at night to keep myself calm when the kids were running around. I was so tired and moody.  This became a constant cycle as well.  Coffee in the morning, a glass of wine at night.  I just felt like crap all of the time.  I still managed to work out because it relieved stress, but I was struggling with what to actually put in my body to make it feel better.

Finally, this past March I decided it was time for some real change.  I was sick and tired of feeling sick and tired!  I decided to dive into a nutritional cleansing program that a friend had mentioned to me a year earlier.  I only wish I didn't ignore her Facebook message for a whole year!   It would have saved me another year of feeling tired and stressed all of time.

So Mike and I started on March 13th of this year and within a week not only were we down 6-7 pounds, but we felt better than we had in years.  Not only did I not need my morning cup of coffee but my sugar cravings were gone.  For once I was getting up before my oldest daughter, and getting things done in the morning before the kids were even dressed. I began making some time for myself before the day really started.   The morning rush was less stressful.  My workouts became more enjoyable. They weren't about burning the calories I had eaten the night before because I knew I had eaten a good healthy meal.  That 5 o'clock wine glass that often called my name wasn't needed anymore. And I didn't even miss it!

By the end of the 30 days Mike was down 22 pounds and 23 inches and to my surprise I had lost 14 pounds and 19 inches.   We seriously couldn't believe how easy it was to follow and we weren't miserable!  I had only planned on losing 8-10 pounds or so but the weight loss wasn't even the best part of it for me, it was more about the energy I had, the calmness I felt throughout the day and the feeling that I could tackle anything and still have energy for my kids when they came home from school.

 My before and after.

 I have a thin frame to begin with so results on me are not as noticeable but my clothes finally fit like they should, I definitely leaned out and lost inches, even my skin looks better but again for me it's more about the energy and strength I now have.  And my husband, well he looks about 15 years younger!  He had an amazing transformation!

Today we continue on these products because we love the way they make us feel.  It's now more about fueling our bodies for energy.  And it's not like we don't eat "bad" food ever or don't have wine, we still do, just not nearly as much because certain foods and things aren't as appealing.  When we do indulge, we don't feel guilty, we just continue on a maintenance plan of these products and know we're giving our bodies the best nutrition we can.




In addition, I now have made it a mission to help my children eat better and encourage them to make healthy choices to help fuel their bodies.  I always tell my girls it's not about being large or small, skinny or fat, it's about being healthy.  I have more energy to focus on giving them healthier snacks when they come home from school and actually want to take the time to come up with healthy meals to start their school day off right.  It's not always easy, but for the first time, it's really important to me and I already see the difference in their attitude and behaviors.

People have asked me why?

"Why did you need to start a cleanse and nutrition program?"  
"You were already so healthy and thin."  

 I may have looked healthy on the outside but on the inside I really wasn't.  I lacked the energy I needed to be the best mom and wife I could be.  Now I want my kids to see a mom that enjoys great, healthy meals and that likes to get out and exercise to keep my body strong, not just to burn off calories.  I want to be a good role model for them in every way I can. I finally feel like I'm moving in the right direction.


At the age of 36 with 3 young children, I can definitely say I am healthier both physically and mentally than I was as a Division 1 college athlete.  I finally feel like I have a purpose. I'm not just getting through the day so I can just make it to bed that night. Now I'm having fun helping others feel the same way.  We have one life to live here on earth, one body to live in. Why not treat our bodies the best we can?  It really all starts with nutrition.



24 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honesty! I am at that point in my life that I need to make nutrition a top priority. Unlike you, I don't get enough exercise though. What program did you and your husband use? Here's my email address, ejceking@gmail.com. I would love some information. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome- good for you!! I too battle with anxiety (I'm taking medication now), actually it sounded like you were describing me when it came to your exercise/stress eating/more exercising problem. Would you share what products helped you to make such a positive change?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charity! If you'll send me your email I'd be happy to share!

      Delete
    2. I would also love to know the product(s) you and your husband used to get great results. My husband and I are 50+ and are needing a change in life styles!

      Delete
  3. My email is klw624@gmail.com. Love that you were able to change your habits! Please send me the program and product list you used. I am very excited to see if we can achieve as good a result as you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am so glad you posted about this. I think many moms who has a child with a different ability goes through the same than you, but we keep it secretly. I will love to know more about the Cleanse program you did. Here is my email: rosaortiz.lane@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I exercise regularly, but my diet is far from perfect. I would love to know what program/products you used. I would really like to get my husband involved as well. My email address is lesliemiles08@yahoo.com. Thank you for sharing your story; I always love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this story. I would like more information about your nutrition plan. You definitely hit home with your story.
    deborahkallen@yahoo.com

    thanks
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this post! I can completely relate to the feeling of just wanting to get through day so that it's over, and then I feel so guilty for that...so thanks for your honesty and for being such an relatable inspiration! I've been wanting to make a change but have only made baby steps that have no lasting effect. I have an almost 4 year old and 2.5 year old who has a chromosome disorder and feel like I use all of my energy just to keep it "together" :). I'd love to know what program you've been on. I'm pregnant with oru 3rd so it may not be the right timing but would still love the info if you don't mind! My email is kaworcester@gmail.com. Sorry, too, if this is repetitive...I posted a comment the other day but didn't seem like it went through. Thank you! And congratulations on taking such an important step toward a healthy YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to hear about it too, it has been more than a stressful year and am on anxiety meds as well. mmmilbrandt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to know what products you used. I was put on anxiety meds about a year after my daughter was born. I realized that I likely suffered from anxiety my entire life but didnt acknowledge the symptoms. Though they are great in helping the issues, they caused a lot of weight gain. I walk at least 3 miles a day and try to eat healthy but the weight seems to be stuck there. I would love to know what you and Mike used. Jr2927@cox.net. Thank you! and you look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too would love to know what program you are doing. You have described my eating habits exactly. My name is Michelle and my email is michiekolster@gmail.com. You looked great before….so glad you look great and feel that way too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you are still sharing, I too would love to know. I am suffering terribly right now with anxiety and depression and some neurological symptoms as well that are being exacerbated by stress. I WANT to begin a new routine/lifestyle change and lose weight, but I am sorely lacking in energy and real sleep. I have antidepressants that I am afraid to take and medication for my neuro issues, that I am also afraid to take. I am hoping that a change in lifestyle/diet will help with my anxiety.

    It's always nice to see someone posting who isn;t posting becuase they have something to gain. it's just sharing honestly what worked for them. That is encouraging when everything feels so bleak.

    If you are still sharing, I would love to know wht you did too. I think a cleanse would help kick start by giving me some energy and motivation to get going.

    jmb830@gmail.com

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Adrienne - love your blog and would really love to hear more about the plan you followed to "get clean." My "coffee followed by more coffee" plan is not one I want to continue, and I could use a good program! Thanks for sharing and kudos to you. My email is eileenpnolan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love your program info as well. I've always exercised and eaten relatively healthy foods but the past 3 years has seen 15 extra pounds creep up and I'm frustrated at my inability to stick with a plan and just lose it. I enjoy your blog. My youngest (of 4) has Ds and I found your blog right after he was born. It really helped me know that all would be better than fine! My email is margaretblyons@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent post. Thank you for sharing your struggles... and your success! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm interested in the information on the products too :). Thank you! ktonnessen@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. I as well would like more information about the nutritional cleansing program! My email is heatherben@gmail.com
    Thank you for your honesty and may The Lord continue to bless you and your lovely family!
    -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would also love to learn more about the cleansing program! My email is heatherben@gmail.com. Thank you for your honesty and may God continue to bless you all!
    -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would also love to learn about the cleansing program! Email is heatherben@gmail.com.
    Thank you for your honesty and may God continue to bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like me! Would love to know what products you used for the cleanse. My kids are 4 and 6 and I finally feel like I'm having a chance to focus a little more on me, I've always been very interested in cooking healthy foods, but I need some motivation again.
    My email is stevensh93@yahoo.com
    Thank you,
    Hope

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to know too what you used. Yup look beautiful.
    Mpanhuyzen@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello! Along with the many others, I'd really like to know what you did/ what products you used for your cleanse. Nutrition is definitely where I struggle!! redhededgurl_9@yahoo.com if you can email me thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, can you please send me the information about the products. julia.a.orlowska@gmail.com Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts so go ahead and leave a comment!