Sunday, December 26, 2010

It's been 2 years since "the call"...


Two years ago on December 26th, our lives changed forever after receiving a phone call. It was the call telling us that our unborn son had Trisomy 21-Down syndrome. Unfortunately I remember everything about that sad day. So many tears were shed until I didn't have any left. Our lives seemed to stop while everyone else just kept on living theirs.

But now, how something so wonderful could come from such a sad day is truly amazing. Never in a million years could we imagine the blessing we were about to receive.

Funny how one phone call temporarily "ruined" our lives, "ruined" our Christmas but little did we know, it was actually going to change it for the better.

So we're 2 years into our "new normal" and it's not what we expected. Not even close. We have this perfect little boy now to cherish today, the 26th of December. Somehow through everything with him, he brings us happiness.


That call was a blessing in disguise.

I thank my God every time I remember you.

Phil. 1:3

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this post! It's amazing how different I feel 21 months after the discovery! Thank goodness I feel so different now as I can't imagine living with the pain that was so prevalent at the beginning!

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if i would have only know what happiness we would have I could have skipped the depression for 4 1/2 months and just enjoyed my pregnancy. Oh the fear of the unknown and what joy our babies bring us. I still think of the anniversary of when we "got the news"...5 years ago last month and how I wish I could have taken it differently. Godis good though and we do get through it. Happy holidays

    ReplyDelete
  3. For us there is always going to be "that day", "that call"....it is just how it is but the beautiful thing is to see how we grow. It is amazing the beauty and joy a child can bring. I think with our others we take it all for granted until one day they're grown. Kate simplifies this process for me, it's not because it takes her longer to meet milestones ect....it's because she has made me more aware of the joy in life, choosing life and living in the moment. I know exactly how you feel on the anniversary day. Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful blessing. Great post !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't THAT the truth! And in our society, 92% of all pregnancies diagnosed with Down syndrome are terminated. Imagine all that joy thrown away b/c of misperceptions. So sad! Thanks for sharing this. (I might share/link it if you don't mind.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this story Adrienne! It is full of such hope. How things that on the outside seem full of sorrow and fear of the unknown can be unwrapped to such joy and delight. Sometimes we can only know these things by looking back and rejoicing how far we've come!
    Bennett is seriously adorable. Hope I get to squeeze his cheeks one day =)
    Happy New year!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! What a beautiful perspective and way to highlight your blessing!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts so go ahead and leave a comment!