Thursday, December 10, 2009

Just To Clarify....

So you all don't think I'm totally paranoid, the reason I get a little worried when I hear about high or low platelets is because (for those that don't know) children with Down syndrome are at a higher risk for leukemia than the general population. I also follow many blogs where the child with DS has also had leukemia so I guess it's always in the back of my mind. Otherwise I don't think I would've paid much attention. Fortunately, there's something about that 21st chromosome that makes the survival rate for children with DS that have leukemia much higher but again, we are not even talking about that, I just wanted to clarify! Thank you for your comments, they did make me feel better. I will wait until Bennett is healthy and will have him retested again.

On a lighter note, we've got a family wedding that the girls are in this weekend-can't wait to share pics! Pray that the girls do their job minus any drama!!!

7 comments:

  1. Well I don't think your paranoid at all. I know our little ones are more at risk than others. The thought is always in the back of my mind. Every time Em has blood taken for something I get a nervous feeling.And there 's nothing wrong with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to clarify, because I COMPLETELY understand how you feel. I'm sure we will have lots of moments that put us on edge because of what we know...(probably the downfall of being TOO educated sometimes!)

    ...you have our support! Hugs from Colin and myself to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Bennett is sick. Hope he feels better soon. I just caught up on your posts. Yah I bet that was scary getting the info on the blood work. I don't have too much knowledge in that area but it sounds from other moms that it could be due to his cold. Sending hugs and prayers that everyone get's better and that the girls have a great time at the wedding. Our litte ones sure keep us on our toes.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being paranoid comes with job of being mom! Enjoy your wedding this weekend and hope all goes well with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You aren't being paranoid, you're a mom. It's our job to take care of our babies whatever their needs are. You're doing great. Try to have fun at that wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. paranoid? NOT. I think that is our job as parents LOL.. We all know that our little ones have a higher chance at getting leukemia. When William was little I used to worry all of the time. When I would bring him in for fever I would always ask the Dr. do you think it has anything to do with cancer? She laughs at me but she knows it is a worry of mine(and something that could really happen) She is sympathetic and replies with a "No" But this is a thought that crosses my mind whereas it did not cross my mind with my other kids. I am sure your little man will be fine and I pray he is feeling better already. Paranoia????Dont think so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always in the back of my head, too. I hate to even say the "L" word. As long as the thoughts don't take over, right?

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts so go ahead and leave a comment!