Monday, October 29, 2012

Good Heart News for Bennett!!

So incase you didn't know, Bennett had open heart surgery when he was 10 weeks old- he was barely 10 pounds and it was by far the scariest thing Mike and I have gone through together-okay well, Ainsley's birth was high up there as well but open heart surgery on a baby is pretty darn scary too.  But since then we take Bennett once a year to check on his heart because with the type of surgery and heart defect that he had, there is often minor leaking in the mitral valve of the heart.

So every year I of course get a tad bit anxious but honestly, Bennett has been very healthy and gives me no reason to think anything is going on but you just never know.

Last week we went in for his yearly visit and the cardiologist was so impressed with how everything looked!  He called it a "near perfect repair" (B's surgery was done at CHOP in PA and then we moved and we see a cardiologist at Duke in NC) and said in another year or so we could go to every other year! He really couldn't believe how nice everything looked, including his scar.  He said there was very little leaking and gave him a clean bill of health as far as his heart was concerned.


Here he is waiting for his echo.  You can see his 4 inch scar if you look closely.  


Of course later that night Bennett came down with the Croup-ugh!  We've had strep throat and croup since starting preschool but I know that school usually comes with exposing kids to new germs.  He's slowly getting over croup-it's now just a really bad cold {I think} and I feel terrible that there is not much I can give him for it;(


Trying to feel better.  

Hope all of this clears up before Halloween!

4 comments:

  1. Yay for good heart news! My Owen (he's 3) had an AVSD repair when he was 12 weeks old. He's got the same scar as Bennett. We just had our own cardiology visit this month and we got similar news and don't have to go back for 2 years. It is such a relief, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for Bennett!!! Glad you posted :) I missed your WIWW post...

    Cute pumpkin patch pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...I have to say your blog is one that I enjoy checking nightly, as I'm rocking my little boy to sleep. I was starting to think..."ok, where is Adrienne?" "I hope all is ok." Of course, I would never post a comment saying, "Would you post already!" Haha!

    In all seriousness, we have five children....so I know a busy mom is a busy mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for awesome heart news! And, Bennett's scar is beautiful! Anthony's is good, but is a lot more noticeable and still not flat, except when he's on his monthly steroids (chemo).

    I just want to make sure to let you know that if Bennett's croup lasts longer than a week, please take him back in. Have the dr. office check his oxygen sats and do bloodwork. I really don't want to scare you, and you can delete this message if you want. But, I had to share that the two weeks prior to Anthony's diagnosis of leukemia, he had croup symptoms that never got better (why I said to wait a week).

    I hope Bennett's feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts so go ahead and leave a comment!